3 Days Danakil Depression Tour via Semera
The cost to join an existing group for the Danakil trip is $400 per person. The price for a private tour starts at $1,700.
Day one: Semera – Hamedela
You will fly from Addis to Semera and you will drive about 5-6 hrs to reach Hamed Ela on the way, you will stop at Lake Afdera for lunch and maybe even swim a bit. In the next camping village this evening we will visit lake Asale with salt flats and have wine or beer drink in the stunning place while you are swimming in the salt lake. o/n open air camping at hamedela
Day Two: Dalol- Erta ale (volcano)
After breakfast, you will drive to the colorful attractions of Dalol which is located at -125 below sea level. Here you will visit the different landscapes formed by volcanic activity, Dallol + Lake Assal + camel caravans. Excursion to Dallol (116 meters below sea level, one of the lowest places in the world) colorful salt mining. After we visit all the attractions, continue driving to Erta Ale, Which ranks as one of the most alluring and physically challenging natural attractions in Ethiopia. It is a shield volcano with a base diameter of 30 km and a 1km square caldera at its Summit. Erta Ale contains the world’s only permanent lava lake. It is 613 meters altitude, with a Lava Lake, The drive may take about 4 hrs passing through a changing landscape of solidified lava Rock and sand after passing several small hamlets scattered here and there in this deserted Land, you will arrive at Erta Ale camping site,. After a short break and early dinner, just before sunset, we will trek for about 1 hour to Ertale, where we spend a few hrs watching the dramatic action of the boiling lava. And you will trek back to the basic camp basement to spend the night, and sleep under the stars).
Day Three: Ertale-Semera
Early morning, you visit boiling lava again, and after breakfast drive to Afdera about 2 hrs. From Afdera, drive on asphalt road to Semera for about 3:30 hrs to Semera airport.
What to bring
- Torches (walking in the night)
- Small backpack for the trek to the top of the volcano
- Closed, comfortable shoes (trekking shoes )
- Swimming clothes
- Sun protection like sun cream, a hat jacket for the night on the volcano
- All Entrance fees and licenses are as per the program.
- Accommodation and all meals throughout the tour.
- Bottles of water for the trip.
- Light sleeping bags ( sheets)
- Surface Transport expense with four-wheel drive Land-cruiser including fuel expense and driver allowance
- Local guide service for the afar regions as per the program
- Cooking, camping equipment,
- Scout and police service in the Afar Region as per the program
- Sleeping bags
- Camel and camel tires in the Afar Region as per the program.
- For the duration of the trip, we are responsible for all meals, water, entrance fees, Accommodation, security, and transportation.
- Domestic and international flights