2 Days Erta Ale Dnakil Depression from Mekele
The cost for the Danakil trip is $250 per person to join an existing group. The price for a private tour starts from $700
We start our today’s adventure by having breakfast in Mekele or we pick you up from Mekele airport and drive to Dodom at the base of Erta Ale for about 5 hrs. ‘The Smoking Mountain’. The 245km drive may take about 5 hours because we’ll be passing through a changing landscape of solidified lava, rock, sand, and the occasional palm-lined oasis.
We’ll pass several small villages scattered here and there in this desert land, before reaching Dodom. We’ll have an early dinner at Dodom before our night trek to Erta Ale. Camels will transport our camping materials and supplies to the rim of the volcano, where we will spend the night watching the dramatic action of the boiling lava.
Erta Ale ranks as one of the most alluring and physically challenging natural attractions anywhere in Ethiopia. It is a ‘ shield volcano ’ with a base diameter of 30km and a 1km ‘ caldera ’ at its summit. Erta Ale contains one of the world’s only permanent lava lakes and you will spend an unforgettable night on the top of the mountain, under the red glow of the volcano. Overnight open-air camping at Erta Ale.
We’ll rise with the sun in time to explore the pits and craters of Erta Ale. The main pit crater is about 200m deep and 350m across, sub-circular and three-storied.
We’ll then walk back for about 20 minutes to the camp for breakfast and some time to swim and relax at Lake Afdera before driving on to Mekele. Finally, you will end the day in Mekele airport or a hotel in Mekele.
What to bring
- Torches (walking in the night)
- Small backpack for the trek to the top of the volcano
- Closed, comfortable shoes (trekking shoes )
- Swimming clothes
- Sun protection like sun cream, hat jacket for the night on the volcano
- All Entrance fees and licenses are as per the program.
- Accommodation and all meals throughout the tour.
- Bottles of water for the trip.
- Light sleeping bags ( sheets)
- Surface Transport expense with four-wheel drive Land-cruiser including fuel expense and driver allowance
- Local guide service for the afar region as per the program.
- Cooking, camping equipment,
- Scout and police service in the Afar Region as per the program.
- Sleeping bags
- Camel and camel tires in the Afar Region as per the program.
- Domestic and international flights