The price Includes
- All Entrance fees and licenses as per the program.
- Accommodation and all meals throughout the tour.
- Bottles of water for the trip.
- Surface Transport expense with four wheel drive Land-cruiser including fuel expense and drivers allowance
- Local guide service for the afar region as per the program.
- Cooking, camping equipment,
- Scout and police service in Afar Region as per the program.
- Camel and camel tires in Afar Region as per the program.
- For the duration of the trip we are responsible for all meals, water, entrance fees, accommodation, security and transportation.
What to bring
- Torches (walking in the night)
- Small backpack for the trek to the top of the volcano
- Closed , comfortable shoes (trekking shoes )
- San protection like sun cream, hat jacket for the night on the volcano
- Sleeping bag
Cost for the Danakil part, $350 per person to join an existing group.
Mekele – Ertale (volcano)
We start our day by driving to Erta Ale (which means smoky mountain in Afar language). Erta Ale ranks one of the most alluring and physically challenging natural attractions anywhere in Ethiopia. It is a shield volcano with a base diameter of 30 km and 1km square caldera at its summit.
Erta Ale contains the world’s only permanent lava lake. It is 613 meters, with a lava lake, one of only five in the world, at the summit. It is notable for being the longest existing lava lake, present since the early years of the twentieth century. We start early 9:00 AM, drive to Askoma (at the base of Erta Ale).
This is may be one of the roughest roads in the world. The 247 km distance may take about 6 hrs passing through changing landscape of solidified lava, rock, sand and occasional palm lined oasis. After passing several small hamlets scattered here and there in this deserted land, you will arrive to Askoma camping site, located about 9 km from Erta Ale. Dinner will be served around 17:00 o’clock.
After a short break, trek up to Ertale at 20:00 hours. Camels will be transporting all the camping materials and some food (sleeping materials like light mattresses and mat and water) to the rim of the volcano, where we spend the night watching the dramatic action of the boiling lava. You will spend the night on top of the mountain, at the rim of the Volcano.
Ertale – Hamedela
Early Morning sun rise at the northern one corresponds to the main pit crater. Artale is, is 65 m wide and about 100 m deep. Descend from Erta Ale around 6:30 am and walk down to Askoma for about 2 hrs.
You will reach latest at 9:00 o’clock at the camp, where you will have breakfast and as soon as possible, drive about 6-7 hrs to reach Hamed ela (the next camping village ) .when time permits, in this evening we will visit lake asale with sunset and camel caravans or visit morning sunrise and camel caravans.
Danakil to mekele
Morning tour Drive to Ragad (Asebo), the place where the localities are mining salt. Look the activity of workers breaking salts from the ground, cutting in to rectangular pieces and loading on camels.
You drive ahead to Dallol and visit the difference landscape formed by volcanic activity, Dallol + Lake Assal + camel caravans. Excursion to Dallol (116 meter below sea level, one of the lowest places in the world) colorful salts mining, visit Lake Assal, follow up camel caravans and walk with the Afar people.
Drive back to Hamedela and proceed to mekele and flying to Addis in the evening.